Thursday 28 March 2013

Motivation


Not really motivation, more a lack of it. For months we have trudged through mire and murk as the sky has cried rain on us. After a while you stop looking at it; the reality is so demoralising your eyes stop seeing it. It makes me turn inwards, I know it's a lack of sunlight, too little vitamin D. It causes a lack of energy, crumbling nails, dry hair and skin. The endless sucking mud saps at your energy.

Running is normally my antidote to this, the exhilaration of it even on the rainiest of days is a mood-lifter, but tendinitis put paid to running this winter. Three months was the received wisdom, which sounded like a life sentence at the beginning, but now I'm at the end of it and I can't seem to get motivated into my trainers again. Perhaps after Easter the day will come when I want to and I'll go and it will be fine again.

In the meantime I'm vacillating between weeks so ridiculously busy I don't get anything done and periods of such intense loneliness it seems as if the rest of the world is out there having fun and I'm left out of it.


But this morning the sun is out again. The world is crisp and cold and bright. I have to use the old horseshoe to smash the ice in the dogs' water bowl. This stream, which has spent the winter months angrily carving out a new, deeper trench for itself, is now pretty and trickling again with diamond sparkling ice. The ground underfoot is hard and dry and the birds have struck up their orchestra again.

7 comments:

  1. The sun is shining today, and suddenly the temptation to just cut my own throat has eased.... A few warm days and we'll all feel better, you'll see. Stay hopeful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel and I've just been out with the dog for a walk - the sunshine drew me out. Lots of snow has melted and I can see green again. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having had a pretty "Yucky" winter myself, I do understand your feelings. And it's still too dark outside to see what today will look like. So I'll try to be hopeful (even if I did come out of hibernation too soon).

    I trust today will be a better day.You might even want to play with the sheep. (OK, I suppose not, but one never know for sure.)

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos. You inspired me to blog today. It IS a beautiful day and the sunshine does help to lift the mood. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We really are all under the weather. Don't be lonely, I 'm here if you fancy a coffee. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself checking the on-line weather forecast several times a day. I just want some hope that one day, not too far away, it will start to warm up. Please?????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah so it's not just me then! :) Chris, coffee and a catch up would be lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete

I am sorry to have to add word verification thing again but I keep getting spammed.